Wednesday, June 29, 2011

June 28 A frames and Swales

June 28, 2011
Coffee Yes! This morning I went for my run and then a long walk in the woods and played my flute to awaken the Elements. Class starts at 9:00 but the sun comes up at 4:30. Decided since my headache was still with me, if I were offered coffee, I would take it. After hearing the discussion yesterday of some of the other campers longings for foods such as sugar, chocolate, eggs, cheese and orange juice. I was not the only one being physically challenged and I knew it was coming.
We opened our morning circle and called in the elements, then we made Biobrew! I have made it many times before and make mine diifferent but making it with Starhawk in permaculture class just really set the mood. You can already feel the energy shifting on the land and I am starting to feel that despite all the emotional energy I have been processing. There is good reason for it and that I am not alone. The woman that had an issue with my snoring did not leave and we have been talking a lot about our process and she offered to make that trip in to town, to pick up a few things for other people.
In our morning session we started off with some powerful intervention about our FOOD NEEDS! and yes, we will be having eggs for breakfast if we have to purchase and cook them ourselves. I over heard the cook telling Starhawk that if she knew we ate eggs it would have made her baking better, so there has been a huge communication break down.
 
Then we talked about water and systems of water how to use it and how to move it and collect and store it. I was much more awake and really enjoyed class and engaged in conversation than the past few days. Talking about Nestles’ and the Wacissa river made me miss home. At lunch I handed over some money to Marilyn and asked for a French press and coffee. And yes! I got it! Now I can make my own coffee when ever I want and I am a happy camper!!
I called Leslie at the hospital and talked with her for a while about Trent, but I did not talk with Trent. She told me about all that was going on with him and that they are keeping him another day till the test are all back to confirm. She said that the meningitis was caused by the rota (?) virus and it went to his spinal column. Then she talked about the baby daddy drama. Believe me, on top of everything else that is going on this shows just how stupid he is. And this will come to some kind of closure soon. We just have to trust that what goes around comes around. Please continue to send Trent, Leslie and Noah energy and Jamie and Wiley as well. I understand Jamie is concerned about Wiley being exposed to Trent and took him to be checked and he has an ear infection.
Our afternoon session was the first of our manual labor application to permaculture. And I am so glad I have been training physically for this work over the past few weeks. We build A frames to mark the contour of the land and went out into the field by the pond and marked the contour for swales, that are ditches that do two things, some trap the water running down hill so it absorbs into the soil to give your land more stored water and the other is to divert water to holding ponds and over flows. Next we build the swales and I mean hard physical labor, digging into rocky wet grass with rocks under the surface. And pulling back the soil and grass to build the burm. But is just a short time out team was done because we worked together. Other teams were sitting around watching others work, ours was the longest and we just jumped in there and did it. And it felt good. Then we covered smoothed the ditch and covered it with straw, the draiins were filled with rocks. Now to wait for rain to see if it works, but we did a good job and it looked very nice. I would have not had the same experience at home because I don’t have the thick grass, the slope or the rocks to deal with. We got the afternoon off since we did a lot of work and dinner was much better and I had a cup of coffee.
Our evening session was about Natural Earth Buildings and a man that talked about buildings made out of Cob, some straw, mud and sand mixture. We will be discussing it in the class but his slide show presentation was actually very good showing houses all over the world built out of natural materials.
I feel much better and Louise and I talked about how this work is shifting the energy here and we are settling into it. I have had such an emotional shaking since I have been here that I am just now starting to relax and get into the work. This is an intensive and it will not be easy work but I know it is important.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment