Saturday, June 25, 2011

June 24 Via Rail

On the Via Rail cross country from Halifax Nova Scotia to Montreal Quebec
June 24, 2011
Even though I didn’t sleep well I was up by 6;30 and out for my run. Waited to play my flute since it seemed the whole house was asleep and I didn’t want to wake anyone, even though Cindy really like hearing me play on Saturday morning. When I got back I played my morning songs to the Elements and Connor joined me and played my flute as we chatted in the small garden under the rowan tree. Today I didn’t see the fat pigeons. Connor is a unique 19 year old with a great sense of humor and a silly and creative imagination, he comes by it naturally cause his parents are just as much fun. I just felt right at home with him and gifted him a peacock stone I bought at the Freaky shop in Mahone Bay.
We all went to breakfast at the Athens where we ate on Saturday morning, this morning I went pretty simple with an omelet. Off to the train station. It was hard to say good by to Bonnie and we both were sobbing at the gate. Cindy said she would take care of her and I was walking down to find my place on the train. The seats look like a plane with more room and no seat belts. I choose a seat with a storage compartment in front of me instead of a seat. Which gives me a little sheltered feel and no one is sitting next to me for the long haul so I have a place to curl up and sleep. I found the washroom and the snake bar, but they have no internet service other than in stations which doesn’t always work. I was able to read Leslie’s post and up date on Trenten, but didn’t have time to respond before we pulled out of the station. So I am going to sit back and enjoy this trip.
6:00 I have been thinking of Leslie and Trent, Jamie and Noah and sending the family energy. I just have to trust that all is working out at home and I wish I could talk to them. It really hurts me that I am not there for them when they need me, but at the same time, I am a true Dragon Mom and I will rip someone apart that messes with my young. Maybe it is good I am not there, to deal with Baby Daddy shit.
I have had a nap, played with my computer playing music, and my MP3 player. Thanks to Bonnie I am jamin on Great Big Sea a true Canadian band that sounds like Emerald Rose. It is really cool to look out over the Canadian countryside listening to them. Looks a little like rain, lots of water on the ground with all the rain they have had, rivers, lush green trees, maples and birch. I really want a cup of coffee and may get one after this next station. We only stay in the stations for 10 minutes or so and I curl up in my seat so no one sits with me, but there are plenty of seats in this car so I want my space if I can keep it. I have not talked to anyone on the train but the snack lady, but I think I just need the space for a while. This train really stops a lot more than I thought it did, I seem to think it only stopped a few times but it is pretty constant.
I watched Feast or Fanime before I crashed about 10:00 pm, and I must say I was very impressed. I must send the Tracie’s an e-mail to thank them. A lot of the things I have been talking about and the conversations I had with Bonnie were in the film. It is about Nova Scotia specifically Lunenburg, but it about everyone, everywhere and the production of food for the future. I love the last bit about what would you say to the young farmers? And I wish I would have watched the film before we left, I am sure some of the people were in the market on Thursday. This work is so important and we have to be doing it NOW!
The night was pretty rough and restless but I did sleep, being thankful for the blanket I bought at the yard sale in Halifax and the fact that I had a whole two seats to myself. I am somewhat surprised that there seems to be very little service on the train, only a few times has anyone walked by and no one has asked me anything other than for my ticket or to take my trash yesterday. It is 5:25 am the sun has been up for an hour but it is raining. I was hoping for a nice sunrise over the Canadian landscape which has been mostly farms and houses. We are at the station in Charny, Quebec and there is still no internet. I still have a few hours on the train. We don’t get to Montreal Quebec till 9:05am. I want to call home and see how everyone is before I find a bus for more sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment