Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 4th Cob making and Building of an oven

July 4, 2011
It was a workday for us, we made Cob all day morning and afternoon. American and Canadians singing, stomping and dancing side by side. Lots of political discussions and agreements. It was a hot sunny day and we were muddy and smelly most all day long. This consisted of mixing sand and clay and water to a ratio 2:3 then mixing by rolling it in tarps then stomping it with our feet. This was extremely labor intense….mean while there is another group building. They started with a stone structure that was filled in with slate and gravel to keep it from sliding, which did not seem to stop it. All I can say is that I am glad I was in the stomp and mix cob making process most of the day. When we would finish a batch I would go look at the builders and then go back to making cob. Despite Starhawk’s diligent staying power which amazed us all they had one problem after another. But we forget how her ability to withstand hours and even days of activist protest and stressful situations makes her who she is. I could just imagine what it would be like to be on a major campaign with her, after building cob with her. I have a whole nother level of respect for her. We did not finish the cob oven and hopefully we will before we leave, providing we do not have rain and it dries enough to complete it with out it sliding off the foundation. Normally you only build a foot a day in cob structures to allow each layer to dry. We made plenty of extra cob and covered it so we can continue to work on it over the next few days.
During lunch I went into town with Marilyn and we stocked up on chocolate and cheese for the gang. I shared cookies with the class during our evening session and stocked up on cheese in the frig. People have finely gotten their rides out of here straight and I am leaving on Sunday with a young woman who’s also a work trader. I wanted to make sure I fulfilled my obligation here and had a ride out of here back to Montreal or to catch a bus which is 1 ½ hour away then 3 hours back to Montreal. It is a little uncomfortable knowing how isolated we are from major transportation when most of us have planes or trains to catch. I will be going to either Sherbrook to catch the bus or with Shabina’s parents closer to Montreal where the bus is only $12 then I will go into Montreal to spend a day with my French roommate Louise. I are going to work in her garden and meet her family.

Our evening session was about Urban Permaculture and we watched movies and slide shown of how people apply permaculture in the city and are growing their own food in small community plots and in front yard gardens. This work is so amazing as it changes cultures of the people that work it and how land can be transformed into usefully food plots with something as simple as cardboard, compost and mulch. It gives you hope that with a little skill people could survive and feed themselves.
We were all exhausted and a little sore from a hard days work and people are ready to start wrapping up their projects and thinking of family and home. But the laughter is beautiful and the work is hard. The two little boys run naked through the barn and we are all taking our turns out in our composting outhouse, which has a beautiful view of the rising sun, if your up that early. I have accomplished a huge hill on my morning run and it feel great. But we still have projects and a few days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment