Saturday, April 14, 2012

First view of the Pacific and Seals!

April 11, 2012
I am having a really hard time getting on the WiFi network here, too much stress to do so and so little time. But I will try!
When I am on the road and in workshops, I usually run a day behind so please pardon me while I catch up. These workshops are very intense and it takes tons of processing to do the work. As we start at 7:30 am for breakfast and if we are lucky crash by 10:30 pm with little down time.
My trip to the Pacific Ocean was one of those winding scenic routes where I followed the Russian River through the mountains at 25 mile an hour curves, I enjoyed it and thoughts of how many mountain county roads look the same, but for the huge massive redwood trees. The redwoods were not as huge as I thought but I have been told where to go to see the really big ones you read about.
About 10:00 am my curvy scenic route through the mountains ended at Jenner, California, which is also where the Russian river ends and flows in to the sea. I found the perfect spot to stop. Oh My Goddess! The cliff was 100 feet high, below me was where the river ran into the sea…the banks were lines with seals! It just took my breath away to see such beauty and seals, which I love, right there sunning themselves.


 
I found a road that took me down near the water, Goat Rock Beach, now how perfect is that? The weather was rainy, cold and windy but I made my way to the beach. I was met by a huge lone Raven. She watched me as I watched her, we sorta developed an agreement that we were alone on this beach but could support each other for the moment. Her words were private to me but completely understood.
I walked for maybe a hour and a half, climbed rocks and took lots of photos. The rocks that just stood as statements of power and yet felt so natural to this place, I was the guest and tourist here. I felt honored to be there. The wild flowers once again have caught my eye on my travels and I was just fascinated by how many things were in bloom despite the cold. The beach was so different and I played in the surf and collected lots of rocks. I asked some surfers to take my photo.. yes I am really here!
I drove a little farther down the coast but knew my time was short and I needed to make my way to the Black Mountain Preserve. The drive up the mountain seemed for ever and the winding road just went on and on, what seemed straight up. Looking down and wondering how people could live here. I finally arrived, cold and wet and very tired. Found a room with a heater and it took me a long time to warm up. Dinner was incredible, the food by far is the best I have ever had at a workshop intensive and the room and facilities are very cozy and comfortable. It was so good to see Starhawk and Charles and catch up before our class started at 7:30. Our first class was more about information and forming affinity groups.

1 comment: