Monday, April 18, 2011

Full Moon

April 17, 2011
The Libra Full Moon and Bull Bats
Southerners can’t really avoid being a part of the culture you were born into and picking up on some of the folklore and traditions that have been around since your great great great grandma and way beyond that. It is a part of your everyday life. In our family we have developed some of our own folklore, I’ll tell you about as our journey goes on.
Driving home from work Saturday night, I stopped and got crossroad dirt from a crossroad I have worked with it’s guardians before. See you have to ask permission first and you best have some relationship before doing so, or else you may just find yourself flattened there slap dab in the middle of the road. For those that wonder what this has to do with permaculture, just enjoy the story and learn a little about dirt worshippers, county folk and more.
So, since it is the full moon and the one that determines when Easter falls, you see Easter’s date is always after the first full moon, after the spring equinox. Don’t you just love it, a Christian holiday that actually falls according to a full moon and the change of the season. Truthfully how many holidays religious or political follow and of earth’s cycles, that is in main stream religions. So Easter can fall between late march and mid April, this year it is about as late as it gets since the full moon was just a few days before the spring equinox. That is why county folk always have their own ways to tell when the seasons are changing and when to plant. For me it is when I see the first swallow tailed kite of the spring, for others it is when the pecan trees put on their leaves. The old folk say, "you can’t fool the pecan tree". I know spring is here when I see the first Bull Bat in my headlights. What is a Bull Bat? Well I don’t really know but I always felt they maybe the whippoorwill since they only come out at night. I have never seen one in the daylight. It was my husband that told me what they were called years ago. But once you have seen one you will always remember them, for their huge shiny eyes sitting in the road, they are catching bugs I assume. They fly up at you as you approach and if you are lucky you can catch a glimpse of them as they fly way. I saw one Saturday night, first of the spring. Glad I have most my vegetables already in the ground. Everything feels early this year.
So, getting back to crossroad dirt. See I practice many forms of Earth Magic and Spiritual work. I use the Earth to guide me in my work like my ancestors. I don’t wait for Easter to plant and I plant by the moon signs. That work is spiritual and practical in nature. The dirt I collected last night will be for blessing and protecting the work I do in my garden and to aid and protect me and my knowledge on my adventures. I am living a promise I made myself several years ago to take Earth Activist Training and to learn and apply perrmaculture in my life and teach others how to use the principles for sustainable living and survival. Truthfully that is what permaculture is and Earth Activism is about doing what is right to heal the damage we have done to our Mother through natural practices.
Nature will survive no matter what, but will we as a human race? Not all of us and not unless we learn to use what she gives us and follow her lead. Time is running out and we have to look back to the old ways when the new ways fail or are no longer available She is shaking us at our very core for the damage we have done and in our lifetime we will feel and know her wrath. We are already seeing it in earthquakes, tsunamis, mega storms, hurricanes, flooding and not to mention global warming. The animals feel and know it, bird and fish die by the thousands and no one knows what is coming next. So, this blog is not about gloom and doom and I am not perching to you, if you are not following me then maybe you should be listening. If not maybe you won’t find Southern Style Permaculture to your likin. Cause I am going to tell you the truth no matter what.
So on the full moon I always set out my Faery Seer Oil, a 300 year old recipe I got from my teacher Orion and a little added guidance from the nature spirits of the land. I give it a full night of the full moon light to charge it. Sometimes I set out my crystals and stones depending on the work I am doing. This full moon I just set out the dirt and some cream liquor for the Fair Folk. I have lots of blessings to give and gratitude to those that guide me on my path, for I am truly blessed.
So, a little more about folklore traditions and how we create our own. On our farm we have a few chickens, just enough to keep our refrigerators full of eggs to share with neighbors family and friends. We get between 15-20 per day. Sometime in the late winter our daughter was here and we were out collecting eggs. She asked me about their language and I told her they were bragging that they had "laid an egg". And she observed the other chickens answered with "good for you". Our grandson Trent that is terrified of our rooster, Rodger, was working in the yard with us and we were talking about the language of chickens and he asked what Rodger said with his "Cock a doddle do" and we answered "I’ll get you". Trent will never forget what the chickens and roosters says.
So, during this full moon look up into her blessed light and think of what you leave for your family or others in the way of folklore or legacy. What are you doing for the future and future generations as you gaze into the night? Here is one way you can assure the future for the generations to come. Behind My husband Noah and our grandson Trenten planting the palm tree is the palm tree (left) my husband planted with his grandfather,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment