Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Expanding the projects

Today Ken Gambill from the Wakulla County extension office came to the farm to look at all my projects and discuss more experiments. He and I have formed a friendship over our permaculture interest and now he is one of my students in Spiritual Development as well. We continue to discuss our plans for sustainable living and are going to plants some corn in horse manure to be used for several other projects. He has some great ideas as well as some knowledge with organic gardening and applied knowledge in engineering projects such as solar applications, generation of methane gas and such. It will be nice to have another set of eyes on the projects I have started and expand them into the future. I am hoping we can locate some open pollinated heirloom corn for our project and not use hybrid. I would love to save some seeds for the future.

Sunday Noah and I worked with horses most of the day and did some repairs and much needed projects around the farm. It can be difficult when I am only home maybe one day on the weekend to work with him. I usually work 4 days a week and do most of my gardening early in the morning during the week. Today I started another batch of bio-brew and I am seeing results in the garden on my test areas. Noah tilled the south half of the garden and I am preparing to plant beans, peas and corn in the hotter side of the garden next week. These will be planted in the usual farming practices and will not get the special attention the 12 experimental rows will have, they will also be watered with a sprinkler instead of drip irrigation. I just need to get them in and I have worked hard enough on the garden for one spring.

I will post more photos soon with the projects I have been working on. At the farm we have dial up internet and it takes forever to post one photo but I have a nice collection of photos hopefully to use in a workshop coming in the future on permaculture.

Happy Gardening,
Sissy
      

No comments:

Post a Comment