Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Barefeet, Bad cat and Planting

April 27, 2011
At the bottom of this page there are photos

Most of you that know me know, I hate shoes! I don’t wear shoes in the house and rarely around the farm, or in the garden and as soon as I get to work they come off. I am just a true earth loving barefoot girl. Well, a few days ago I found a dress to wear to the Beltane Ball this weekend and the ladies in the consignment shop just insisted I have a pair of dressy white shoes. OH My Goddess!!
And I can’t wear flip flops, tennis shoes or my basic black everything with this beautiful dress. And once I got home to try the dress on I realized I also needed a slip. Ohhhh Noooo, I really don’t like to shop and I was dreading it. I remembered that there was a box of my mother’s clothes in storage and knew once she had a long slip. I went digging through boxes when all of a sudden the Grandmother clock that belonged to my grandparents that hasn’t worked in maybe 20 years began to tick, I stopped my digging and checked it out and sure enough it was ticking or at least attempting to, there isn’t even a key to it anymore. So I asked my Mother that passed in 2005 to help me find the slip and I just reached to the very bottom of the box and pulled it out along with a silver clutch purse. Good, that keeps me from shopping for a slip, now the shoes, at least I have some idea what to look for. Off to Payless I found not one but two pair, what is happening to me??? I loved one pair and they fit, 3 inch heals but the color… well they are tan. Once I put them on with the dress they actually were close to my skin tone so they are keepers, the others I took back and bought a pair of flip flops, yhea! happy feet! But I am all set to go to the Ball and celebrate Beltane, a night on the town dancing with my husband and friends. Join us!
Today was another busy garden day. I woke up really pissed at my little cat, she had jumped up into the bathroom window ledge and knocked off my Amy Brown Seer statue, nothing more super glue won’t fix but it did not start me off in a good mood. Or at least until I found all the pieces. Then I had a little talk with her and felt better.
I got in the garden about 7:30 am and did some weeding and some observing and recording. Put the Bio-brew on some test areas and set my irrigation systems up, hoping for rain but just in case they all needed some water today. I am very pleased with the new growth and blooming. I have some grass hoppers that seems to going at my bell peppers but other than that all looks good.
So I decided I needed to get some of the plants in the ground that have been waiting, mostly tomatoes I started in the green house from seeds and some butternut squash. Both were looking pretty sad from sitting in the seed trays since first of March, and these are open pollinated. For those that may not know what Open Pollinated means they are NOT Hybrids or genetically modified to resist disease or such. Most open pollinated plants can be pollinated by bees or other insects. Hybrids do not need pollination or do they reproduce from seeds, they can grow plants but they will not produce flowers, fruit or seed that can be saved and replanted next year. How the Seed companies reproduce them is totally unknown to me, but if you can or are working with permaculture and sustainable living please try not to use hybrids because the day may come when you need to save your seeds and start your own heirlooms. This year we ended up with some hybrids because we were busy preparing for our new grandbaby that was born in late January and I didn’t get to the feed store or order them on line. Next year I am going to shoot for all open pollinated and start all my plants in January or February, I don’t like to plant in the ground till March 21st, which is Ostara the Spring Equinox. I also like to plant by the moon signs if I can.
The tomato plants didn’t get the special treatment, I just lined the beds with a heavy row of horse manure compost and covered it over and set them out, the squash I just set them in the sand. Messed around with the sprinkler for about an hour and gave them a good watering. This was one of those days I really miss my outside shower. I was covered from head to toe in dirt by 12:30 pm. I put aromatic oil on to keep the sand gnats off and then all the dirt sticks to it. I just hosed down before I went into the house. So, I am putting my outside shower on my wish list for the near future, I loved it.

Here are a few photos to share since I am at work and I can download them faster.

 Our Little granddaughter Summer inspecting the blueberry plants full of green berries, this is what it is all about, the Future!
 Harvesting worm castings I posted a few days back on how to do it, they are shade lovers so in the sun they will crawl under the tarp and you have the best composted worm castings. Try a worm bed.
 This is our flat woods sandy soil, it is pretty dry. Easy to work when it's dry but hopefully with all my hard work will be full of organic materials with lots of horse manure.
 This is bed 1 in my test garden, the white ground cover is recycled horse feed bags, one of my pet projects this year. I have a whole presentation on how, why and the porpose and application.
This is bed 12 A&B, double bed with cucumbers, I will sand bag it in the future to raise it up as I fill it in.

 This is one of my Herbs in my garden, the tires are cut and turned inside out and hold the moisture and heat in the winter. I love them and have beautiful herrbs in a nice shady area under oak trees.
And here is a pear tree, just one of several and you can see it is full of pears already. We love our fruits right by the garden, can not wait till summer. In the back ground you can see our 8 foot fence.

No comments:

Post a Comment