Friday, August 5, 2011

Summer time Blues and Dog Days of Summer

August 4, 2011
Posting on August 5, 2011
Oh to the Summertime Blues…. Well I won’t really call it that, but some Blues singer did or was it Rock and Roll.



Tuesday night after I recovered from being Bear Caught (heat exhaustion) I had pretty much recharged and spent the heat of the day inside. That evening I did something stupid, something we all do it from time to time, it is painful and really stupid. I accidentally kicked the door jam going into the bathroom in the dark and totally jammed my little toe. I don’t think I broke it this time, I have broken my little toes so many times that I am surprised either of them have bones. Damn don’t you hate that.. when it happens? So, I am limping around and my little toe and the whole side of my foot is black and blue. Toes are pretty important and when they are hurting, it really messes you up. Arnica and soaking in Epsom salts, my cure for the day.
Yesterday I got up early watched the sunrise, pissed I couldn’t run. Sat on the porch drinking coffee, playing my flute and watching a heard of deer in the front yard. Two bucks, one little spike and the other in a full rack of velvet. I love their fuzzy antlers. Later I went into the woods with the golf cart and picked blueberries, since the deer have eaten most of them, I used the golf cart to get to the tops of the bushes. Then I did the same for the purple scupine grapes and the wild hog plums. I came home with buckets full of fruit and berries and the rest of my day was spent in the kitchen. I made up juice to make jelly next week. Then made Skillet Eggplant Parmesan for dinner.
 
Last night I had a nice long phone conversation with my beloved friend Bonnie from Nova Scotia. Her summer visitor, family, students from Spain and houseguest have all left and the family has their house back for a while. I just loved being there with her and the family, doing all the things we did, meeting people and seeing the sights. And yes, I will go back to Nova Scotia. I want to express my gratitude again for having this experience this summer. Being able to go to Canada for a month, spending a week with Bonnie, taking the adventure of traveling and going to Earth Activist Training. All that I learned and all I did and saw, I am so grateful. I just can’t stop thinking about all the really cool people I met and energies I touched. It was just Awesome! My gratitude goes to all those here at home that made this happen for me, my friends and family that supported me and gave me money and most of all held down the fort while I was gone. Thank You all again!

This one is for you Bonnie! My Altar for Canada! Nova Scotia to Florida direct line!

One the Farm
My weeds are still taking over, the grass is out of control and the mowers broke, damn… it is too hot to do anything about it anyway. The pears are almost ready to be picked before the deer eat them all. I am antsy and want to be doing something with permaculture, as I sit in my chair with my foot in a big pot of Epsom salt, you know you can use it on your plants too. I have tons of books to read and things I could be doing in the planning department. I want to be outside! Just love eating fresh eggs for breakfast and topping ti off with a warm pear right off the tree.
Speaking of Hot, not only is it dog days but Mercury is in Retrograde and now is the time to RE>>>>things, redo, reevaluate, remodel, rethink, re..re..re…relax… Oh that is not easy for me, so the universe tosses me a black and blue toe and says…SIT!
More Permaculture
I have been looking at Fungi. Even as hot as it is there are mushrooms everywhere, all different kinds. I found a little pamphlet at Borders on common mushrooms and the poison ones too. Noah and I have had fun looking at the different ones that grow around the yard and at the barn, their spore prints, gills, stems, cap size and color. I am just too afraid to try them since most of them appear to be the poison ones… or I just would like for someone to tell me they are edible. Better to be safe than dead or really sick., I’m not taking chances. Oh, I know what your thinking, no I am not looking for the little psilocybe mushrooms….oh no, been there and done that back in the 70’s. I know what THEY look like and horse poop does not support the spores, it has to be cow poop and a certain kind. In high school I did a book report on them and did my research well. At one time I was the one that knew where they grew in this area. I have developed a whole different kind of love and respect for mushrooms. Now, I just want to grow my own to eat and use them in my garden and in my compost pile. Thanks to permacultue, I can see what beautiful benefit they have to the natural system of all growth and decay. And yes, I want to know what wild mushrooms are edible and which ones will kill you. Noah has been looking on the internet for spores to inoculate wood with, to grow your own and to add to the compost piles. I would think we would have a pretty good growing season here for them.



Oh to the life of those hot steamy summer days where we sit in a cool spot, thinking of all those things we should be doing, but then just sit there and think about them some more.
This weekend is our Grand children’s Birthday party. Trent will be 7 on August 10th and Summer just turned 2 on July 29th. We are going to Panama City for their party on Saturday.
I know at least two of the are going to make you really sick, but that are so pretty! DO NOT EAT WILD MUSHROOMS unless you know for sure what they are, the ones that look edible are the ones that will kill you. I want to learn!!!

You Do Not have to look at this one....it is still black and blue after three days....


No comments:

Post a Comment